History

Gormanston & District Anglers were set up originally in the 1970’s to take charge and care of the Delvin River. This small river borders is the naturally border between North County Dublin and Co Meath. The river albeit small had a decent stock of brown trout supplemented with a sea trout run.

Knock (Now known as the Wavin) Lake was man made in the early nineteenth century (1826) to provide water for the Cotton Mills in the Balbriggan area. It was acquired by Wavin, the country’s largest manufacturer and distributor of PVC pipe systems, in 1974 to augment the Balbriggan water supply to the factory, so as to ensure a constant level of water for the plant’s cooling process.old boat image

Twenty years later, after improvements to the water supply system in the area, Wavin no longer needed the lake as a commercial natural resource. So, the lake effectively became redundant, but remained rich as a community resource full of beautiful wild life and fauna. However, access to it was difficult so much of its richness was not accessible to the community.

Anxious to conserve the area as a natural resource for the community, and despite offers to acquire the lake land for building purposes, Wavin decided to donate the lake to the Gormanston & District Anglers club for use as an amenity area. In return, the anglers would make the area accessible to local community and ensure that the area was maintained as a wildlife sanctuary and the flora and fauna were preserved.